Ingredients for Grinding:
1 or 2 Raw Mango (Based on the sourness of the mango)
1/2 cup Coconut, grated (Preferably fresh)
1-2 tsp Menthya Kaalu / Methi seeds
2-3 Dry red chillies - Low spiced
A pinch of hing
Ingredients for Chitranna:
1 cup Rice
2-3 tbsp Peanuts
1 tbsp Chana - Urad Dal mixture
2-3 tsp Oil
3-4 Curry leaves
1 tsp Mustard seeds
5-6 nos of Cashews (Optional)
Salt as per taste
- Cook rice with a spoon of oild, such that each grain is separate and keep aside.
- Peel and grate the raw mango; Keep aside.
- Dry roast the red chillies and methi seeds and blend them along with grated coconut, raw mango and hing (Asafoetida) them in a blender to paste. Do not add water while grinding and keep aside.
- Next Heat oil in a kadai; Temper with mustard seeds, peanuts, chana dal, urad dal, curry leaves. (Make sure the groundnuts are roasted just nice not under fryed or over fryed..)
- Add the ground mixture to this and cook for about 2 mins. Add salt and mix well.
Put the cooked rice in a broad vessel where its easy to mix the rice with the above prepared chutneyand mix well. Check for the seasoning. If required add some more grated mango for more sourness. and serve hot...