I am back with another way of making othu shavige or Pressed noodles. Straight from Mother in law Kitchen. Check out this detailed recipe and enjoy making it. :)
Ingredients needed for noodles:
Rice Flour - 2 cups
Water - 4 cups
Ghee / oil - 2 tbl spn.
1.Bring water to boil in a thick bottomed wide pan and immediately add salt and oil/ghee. Keep some hot water aside to use it if required
2.When water is boiling just put the rice flour in the water and just place the wooden spatula. Now close the vessel and let it steam for about 10 - 15 mins .
3.After 15 mins, mix flour with water using a wooden stick (Mudde koolu) or wooden spatula till it forms a big lump. (If it gets dry and need some more water just add the water you kept aside and keep stirring till done)
4) After it is steamed take small portions of the dough and knead the dough well to make sure there are no lumps and make them into cylindrical balls just nice to fit in the chakli press/chakli maker/shavige mane whichever you have.
5) Now, in another vessel bring water to a boil and drop these cylindrical shapped dough into the water and let it steam for about 5 – 10 mins.
6) Now, Keep enough plates ready to press the noodles. Take these small portions of steamed dough and place it into the chakli maker and press them in circular motion to cover the entire plate. (This is the hard job of the whole recipe... get hold of your hubby or whoever is strong and get their help to press these noodles :) )
7) Repeat this for the rest of the dough and the noodles are ready to serve hot.
Make sure you finish pressing the noodles when they are hot. To avoid the dough to cool down faster keep the rest of cylindrical dough in the hot water itself while you are in the process of pressing)
For sweet version of Noodles
You will need per serving:
Grated Jaggery - 1tbl spn.
Roasted Till/sesame powder- 1 tbl spn.
Ghee - 1 - 2 tbl spn. (I like to eat with extra ghee ;) )
Hot Milk - 1 cup
1.Place one layer of freshly pressed noodles on the plate.
2. Add the mixture of jaggery and Roasted till powder
3. Add ghee and hot milk on top of the noodles. and serve hot. It tastes too yummy.
Alternatively you can also eat these noodles with gasagase payasa.
For spicy version of noodles
You will need for each serving :
Oil : 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
Peanuts : handful
Chana dal : 1 tbsp
Urad dal : 1tbsp
Cashews - 4 -5 nos. (Optional)
Turmeric : 1tsp
Green Chillies : 20 (slit vertically)
Curry Leaves : from 4 lines
Fresh grated coconut - 4 tbl spn
Coriander leaves - 4 tbl spn (Finely chopped)
Lemon juice (Optional)
Salt to taste
1.Heat oil in a pan.
2.Add mustard once they splutter add peanuts,channa dal, urad dal and cashews and fry them till they turn golden brown. Add turmeric, slit green chillies and curry leaves
3.Pour this over plain shavige and add salt as desired (remember there is salt already in the noodles), lemon juice, grated fresh coconut, chopped coriander leaves and mix well
4. Serve hot with coconut chutney.. It tastes yum...
Hope you and your family enjoy this recipe.