ಶುಂಟಿ ಚಟ್ನಿ / అల్లం పచ్చడి
Ginger chutney is one of my favourites which my mom makes. Its tangy, sweet and spicy, and we love to eat it with rice or chapati or idly or dosa or vadas or anything.. the list goes on. I made this during a weekend get together for a combination with Mysore/Mangalore bonda and it was excellent.
The best part is you can store this chutney at least for a week in the refrigerator. I also use it as a bread spread and love to hog on while I am very hungry. :)
Ginger - chopped 1/2 cup
Tamarind paste - 1/4 cup
Jaggery - 1/4 cup
Coriander leaves - 3 tbl spn
Mustard seeds - 1 tspn
Jeera - 1 tspn
Hing - 1/4 tspn
Red chillies - 3 nos.
Green chillies - 2 nos. (Optional)
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tspn
1) In a small pan, add oil. Once hot, add Mustard seeds, jeera and Red chillies and let them splutter.
2) Now add hing and green chillies and switch off the flame.
3) In a blender jar, add ginger, jaggery, tamarind paste, coriander leaves, salt and the above fried mixture and blend it to fine paste.
4) Check for the seasoning. if required add some more jaggery or tamarind paste and make it tangy, spicy and sweet mixture. :)
5) Goes excellent with idli, hot rice, dosas, vadas etc.
Note : If you dont like the raw taste of ginger, you can also fry ginger along with the seasoning mixture. It will still taste good. :)