Idli Tari / Idli rava - 3 cup
Urad dal - 1 cup
1) Soak all the two ingredients separately for about 8 hours with sufficient water
2) Then, grind the urad dal into a fine paste and mix idli rava and salt to this and set aside to ferment for about 8 hours.
(I usually soak the mixture in the morning, grind in the night before going to bed, and let it to ferment through the night)
3) Once the batter is fermented (You will notice a increase in quantity so place the bowl on a big plate or give enough space in the bowl for the mixture to increase) give it another good mix, and add soda and beat it well.
4) Now take the Idly plates, slightly grease them with ghee and pour the mixture into the idly plate and steam it for 5 mins. (as shown in the pic)
(You can use the pressure cooker as well, but do not put the weight on it)
5) Once the idlis are steamed scoop them out carefully using a sharp edged spoon.
6) Serve hot with Coconut chutney / Sambar.