Its been a month that I am back from Bangalore and I started missing those snacks and the evening junk food so soon. So wanted to make masala puri and bhel puri for dinner today.. :)
We unfortunately don't get ready made pani puris here and so we have to make even the puri all by ourselves. Anyway its fun and myself and my hubby enjoyed it :)
Below is Masala puri recipe. Click for Bhel puri recipe.
For the base masala:
Dry Green Peas - 1 cup (Soaked over night)
Fresh Coriander Leaves - 1/2 cup
Cumin Powder - 1/2 tbl spn
Coriander Powder - 1/4 tbl spn
Garam Masala - 1/2 tbl spn
Black Pepper powder - 1/4 tbl spn
Green Chillies - 2-3 nos
Cinnamon Stick - 1 inch
Garlic paste - 1 tbl spn
Ginger paste - 1 tbl spn
Onion - 1 small
Salt to taste
1) Pressure Cook the soaked peas and keep half of the peas aside for later use.
2) Grind rest of the masala mentioned above along with half of the cooked peas to a fine paste.
3) In a kadai, add little oil and pour the ground masala and cook it for 4-5 min till the raw taste of the masala leaves and keep aside.
|Home made Puris|
Ingredients for the puris:
All purpose flour/Maida Flour - 1-2 tbl spn
Chiroti Rava/Small semolina - 1 cup
Warm Water enough to mix the dough
Oil for deep frying
Salt as per taste
1) Take a basin/broad vessel and add Chiroti rava and salt.
2) Pour little warm water and knead well for sometime till all the water is absorbed by the rava.
3) Now add maida and knead well to form a dough. Now add 1 tbl spn of oil and mix well (Make sure its not too soft neither too hard) and keep aside for 10 - 15 mins.
4) Make the dough into small lemon sized balls and roll them just like chapati as thin as possible.
5) Take a cutter / cap of any bottle (Check for the size, it should closely match the puris size) and cut them into small round puris.
6) In the mean while, add enough oil in the deep pan and once the oil is hot, drop the cut puris in and let them puff like a baloon. (Cook on low flame only)
7) Now puris are ready to be used in masala puri/pani puri. whatever you are making.
Ingredients for Green ChutneyGreen chillies - 10 nos
Coriander leaves - 1 cup
Jeera powder - 1/4 tbl spn
salt to taste
1) Grind all the above ingredients to fine paste and use ..
Ingredients for tamarind masala.
Tamarind - big lemon sized soaked in water / tamarind extract/tamarind paste
Jaggery -1/4 cup
Jeera powder - 1/4 tbl spn
Garam masala (optional) - 1/4 tbl spn
Salt a pinch
1) Squeeze the tamarind juice and pour it in a vessel and bring it to boil.
2) Add jaggery, jeera powder, garam masala powder and salt and bring to boil once again.
3) Keep boiling till the mixture thickens. (The mixture will thicken even more while it gets cooled) so turn off from boiling before it gets very thick.
Ingredients for the masala puri:
The peas base (Recipe showed above)
Puris (Recipe showed above)
Green Chutney (Recipe showed above)
Tamarind Chutney (recipe showed above)
Chat masala - 1/4 tbl spn
Onions - finely chopped - 1/2 cup
Tomato - finely chopped -1/2 cup
Sev - 1/4 cup
Coriander leaves - finely chopped 1/4 cup.
Boiled peas which we kept aside 2 tbl spn
1) Crush 5-6 puris on a plate
2) Add boiled peas, and add the base masala.
3) Add chat masala, tamarind chutney and green chutney. Add little salt if required
4) Garnish with chopped onions, tomato, sev and coriander and serve hot.
(Optionals.. You can add yogurt, lemon juice to this mixture to give you a spl taste.)